Making a fortune teller is one of the best ways to entertain your friends. All you need is a piece of paper and a marker to create a fun game you can play anywhere, anytime. Fill the inside with fortunes that your friends can pick so you can “predict” their future. Once they pick a fortune, read it out loud so everyone can hear it. Once you make one fortune teller, you’ll want to keep making more with different things written inside!
Folding the Fortune Teller
1Crease a square piece of paper diagonally from each corner. Fold the top right corner to touch the bottom left corner. Crease the fold with your finger and then unfold it so your sheet is flat again. Then take the top left corner and fold it over to the bottom right corner. Crease the fold with your fingernail before unfolding it again.
- If you’re using a piece of rectangular paper, you can cut it into a square. Fold one corner over to the adjacent side. Use scissors to cut off the small rectangle. What remains is a square-shaped piece of paper.
Tip: Use a piece of construction paper if you want your fortune teller to be colorful.
2Fold the paper in half from each side. Bring the top edge of the paper to the bottom edge and crease the fold. Unfold the paper so it’s flat again and rotate it by 90 degrees. Fold the new top edge of the paper to the bottom to crease it and then flatten it out again. Your paper will have 4 lines intersecting in the middle.
- Make sure you’re always folding in the same direction or else your fortune teller won’t form correctly.
3Bring the corners to the center of the paper. Start with one of the bottom corners and fold it into the middle of the paper where the creases intersect. Press down on the fold with a fingernail so it stays in place. Turn your paper 90 degrees and fold the other bottom corner toward the center. Keep rotating and folding your paper until you’ve made a smaller square containing 4 triangles.
- If the paper doesn’t stay in place when you press it with your fingernail, then use the edge of a spoon or knife.
Flip the paper over and fold each corner to the center again. Turn your paper over to the other side so you don’t see the folds. Grab one of the corners and fold it toward the middle where the creases intersect. Press down on the fold with your finger. Rotate the paper and fold each corner to the middle of the paper until you’ve made a smaller square.
Filling in the Fortunes
Put numbers in ascending order on the triangles. Start with the number 1 in the smaller top left triangle on the fortune teller. Write the numbers in ascending order clockwise around the triangles. End with the number 8 in the last triangle on the left side of the fortune teller.
- Each of the smaller triangles will be on half of a larger triangle. If you want to separate them, draw a line along the crease between them.
2Write the fortunes underneath the flaps. Open up the triangles labeled 1 and 2 and write a short fortune underneath each number. Keep the fortune 1 sentence long and use small handwriting so it fits in the space. You can make your fortunes bad or good if you want. Repeat the process under the flap for each number so you have 8 different fortunes in all. Close the flaps once you’ve written all the fortunes.
- Draw a line along the creases if you want to tell your fortunes apart easily.
Fortunes You Can Write
Something amazing is coming your way tomorrow.
You will live a very long and happy life.
You’re going to get married in the next 10 years.
Flip the fortune teller over and color the squares. Turn your paper over so the 4 small squares are face up. You can use any colors you want as long as each square on the fortune teller is different. Let the marker dry completely before you use your fortune teller.
- If you don’t have colored markers, you can write the name of the color on the squares instead.
Playing with the Fortune Teller
1Fold the fortune teller in half so the squares are on the outside. Flip your fortune teller over so the numbers are face up. Fold the top edge of the fortune teller down to the bottom edge so 2 of your colored squares are on top.
2Slide your fingers underneath the squares to operate the fortune teller. Lift up the squares slightly so that you can fit your thumbs under the bottom two squares and your index fingers under the top two. With your fingers under the squares, press the corners toward the center of the fortune teller so each square forms a cone shape. The four corners will meet in the middle of the fortune teller.
- Be careful while you’re folding the fortune teller up since it could crease or rip in the wrong place.
3Pick a color and spell it out while opening and closing the fortune teller. Select a color square on top of the fortune teller. Once you pick a color, spell it out loud and open the fortune teller with each letter. Alternate the direction you open the fortune teller from top to bottom or side to side. When you reach the last letter, leave the fortune teller open.
- For example, if you chose the color red, you’d say “R” and open the fortune teller one direction. Then, you’d say “E” and open it the other way. Finally, you’d say “D” and open it in the other direction one more time.
4Choose a number and count it out. When the fortune teller is open, look inside to see 4 numbers inside. Select one of the numbers and count it out with your fortune teller, alternating the direction you open it each time. Once you’re finished counting, leave the fortune teller open in that position.
- If you picked an even number, the fortune teller will end in the same position. If you picked an odd number, you’ll see new numbers to choose from.
- Keep playing the fortune teller until you reveal all of the fortunes.