It’s frustrating when zippers break suddenly, such as when their teeth separate and the zipper slider won’t open and close them anymore. This can be embarrassing if it’s on your pants zipper or if it’s on a backpack and all of your things fall out. However, there are several ways of fixing a separated zipper. You can either try to fix the slider itself or realign the zipper by taking it apart and putting it back together. One of these methods is likely to fix the majority of zippers that have separated.
- As the opening increases in size, it puts less pressure on the tracts of the zipper, allowing them to stay separated.
- In some cases, bent teeth on a zipper will cause a zipper to separate. If the zipper teeth are metal, you can use a pair of pliers to straighten them out. If the teeth are plastic, gently try to straighten them with your fingers, as pliers could easily break them off.
- On one end of the slider there is a middle piece that won’t let you squeeze it. On the other end there is no middle piece. That is the side that gets opened and needs to be squeezed back together.
- Don’t squeeze the slider too strongly though, as you don’t want to make the gap smaller than it should be. You will know the gap is too small if it becomes difficult to pull up and down the zipper slider along the tracks.
- If the zipper still doesn’t work, either squeeze the slider more or try another solution.